Sure, there are worse things that can happen than getting locked out of your own house, but when you’re already running late or having a rough day, misplacing your keys can be incredibly frustrating. You might have to wait around for a friend or spouse for hours, or worse, accidentally call a scammer locksmith and pay hundreds for a simple door unlock. (Here’s a better solution: put our number — 713-722-0060 — into your phone now so you’ll always have a legitimate Houston locksmith on hand.) However, there are several simple things you can do right now to prevent lockouts in the first place. Read on for our pro tips!
1. Have at least one spare key at all times. If you lose one, get another made right away. This also applies to car keys! (You may also want to consider getting your locks rekeyed if you don’t know who might have your lost key.)
2. Give a spare key to a trusted neighbor who is often at home, like a stay at home mom or retiree, not the jet-setting friend who is likely to be out of town when you get locked out.
3. Keep a spare house key in your purse or wallet. Just tape it in if you don’t have an appropriate space for it.
4. Bury a key in your yard. Burglars check under the door mat and patently fake rocks. Don’t make it so easy for them. Put a key in an empty film canister or other small, watertight container and bury it shallowly — in a potted plant might be easiest to find.
5. Install a keypad or biometric lock. As long as you can remember a PIN (or have fingerprints), you’ll be able to get in.
If you still manage to get locked out, don’t break a window or kick in the door. The repair bills will be much higher than calling a legitimate local locksmith. (Scammer locksmiths are a different story. We’ll show you how to avoid them in our next post.) Pop-A-Lock provides fast, affordable lockout services 24/7 in Houston, so keep our number handy just in case! Free estimates are always available at 713-722-0060.